Thursday, April 14, 2011

Lent in the Great South

Two ladies came to my door to invite me to celebrate Jesus' death. I was shocked and I told them it was not for me. I would celebrate a resurrection, but there is no way I'll celebrate anybody's death.
One lady looked at me sternly and said: "The Bible says Jesus died for our sins."
I answered: "You want to celebrate that?"
YES THEY DO.
You would think that they are a little be ashamed that somebody died for them, or worried that they may not be worth it, or try to be better persons to avoid Christ some suffering. But no, mainstream theology, specially in the South, says that the sacrifice of Christ is sufficient, you do not need to do anything, just accept it, and that is what they do. "Thank you Lord, I repent and I am washed of all sins ..."
Early theologians did not talk to the sophisticated narcissistic crowds we deal with today.
As a result, we got in Georgia a staggering number of people "in the system, " meaning in jail or in prison, or on parole. It is hard to find neighbors who never got to jail around here.

And in the USA, the best country in the world, there is close to one million kids abused or neglected every year.
A.D. of course.

No comments: