Monday, February 10, 2014

Autopsy of a Giraffe on PBS

-->
Is there a good reason to kill a healthy giraffe in a zoo? 
Certainly. The giraffe didn't have the right genes for reproduction explains the director of the zoo on PBS. People like me, who know a bit about the history of eugenics growl and think. "I wish I could see the science he bases himself on." But hey, it is possible that he has good science behind him.
Then he explains that people who watched the autopsy, including children, all volunteered to see it. 
Certainly, I can't imagine that he forced them to watch.
Then he is asked why the giraffe had a name. Great question!
And we get two minutes of ramblings from the director explaining that the Giraffe did not have an official name and should not have had a name. Poor anonymous Marius!

There is something very wrong with the director of that zoo. I feel the same way I felt while watching Stalin on parade or while I was listening to Chiang Kai-Shek. I mean, forget the politics for a minute. Humans are talented to justify anything. But then, they slip and you ask yourself: "what is wrong with that guy?"
I am wary of tyrants who don't like people to have names and of zoo directors who think animals shouldn't have names either.
I can't put a name on the disease, but there is something wrong here.

1 comment:

Cerulean Bill said...

I absolutely agree. Perhaps we are reading too much into it, but I don't think so.